Fish and chip shops across the UK will be handing out free meals tomorrow – Friday, January 17.
The 10 front runners in the flagship Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award category of the 2020 National Fish & Chip Awards are marking the one week countdown to the ceremony with a special fish and chips giveaway.
The participating venues, battling it out to be named Fish and Chip Shop of the Year 2020, are:
- Carron Fish Bar, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire
- Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone
- Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester, Cheshire
- Hiks, Swansea, West Glamorgan
- [email protected], Fishguard, Pembrokeshire
- Rockfish, Brixham, Devon
- Seafare, Guildford, Surrey
- Shap Chippy, Shap, Penrith, Cumbria
- The Cod’s Scallops, Wollaton, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- The Golden Carp, Redditch, Worcestershire
Research commissioned by Seafish, the organisation that runs the National Fish & Chip Awards, shows that more than 45% of people in the UK buy fish and chips at least every other week, with most buying as a treat for themselves or because they consider it a family tradition.
More than 65% prefer to visit a fish and chip shop in person. 100% would usually have to pay for their meal – but not tomorrow!
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, said: “With just under one week to go, we’re eagerly awaiting to find out who will be crowned the best fish and chip shop in the UK for 2020.
“We love celebrating great fish and chips, and tomorrow we want to celebrate the consumers who support the industry by buying their fish supper every week. Be sure to check if your local shop has made the cut.
“Being shortlisted as a finalist for the flagship award is a phenomenal achievement and we hope people will head along on Friday to cheer on their local shop and enjoy some free fish and chips! Everyone in the final truly deserves their spot and we wish them all the best of luck next week.”
A portion of fish and chips can contribute towards one of the recommended five a day portions of fruit and vegetables if mushy peas are included.
It can also be one of the recommended two portions of fish a week that we should all be eating as part of a balanced diet.
The winner of the Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award will be announced at The National Fish & Chip Awards’ 32 anniversary awards ceremony in London on January 23, 2020.
To view the full shortlist visit: http://www.fishisthedish.co.uk/win/national-fish-chip-awards or follow @fishisthedish #FishnChipAwards.
Fish and chips served from the following times:
- The Cod’s Scallops, Nottingham – 11.30am
- Dolphin Takeaway, Duncannon – 4:30pm
- Fish and Chips @ Weston Grove, Chester – 11:30am
- Shap Chippy, Penrith – 12pm
- Seafare, Guildford – 11:30am
- Rockfish, Brixham – 12pm
- Hiks, Swansea – 11:30am
- Hooked @ 31, Fishguard – 11:30am
- Carron Fish Bar, Stonehaven – 12pm
- Golden Carp, Redditch – 12pm
NB – T&Cs will be at the discretion of individual shops.