We have a certain silver (at least) for GB in the boxing for welterweight Pat McCormack following his Irish opponent, Aidan Walsh, withdrew from their semifinal via injuries. Not the way you want to gain a medal and horrible luck for Walsh.
“The choice has been created to withdraw Aidan Walsh from the semi-closing of the men’s welterweight competition at the Olympic Games,” read a assertion from Team Ireland.
“The Belfast boxer was because of to battle in Sunday’s semi-closing against Pat McCormack, but because of to an ankle injuries sustained in the course of his quarter-closing bout with Merven Clair, the choice to withdraw him was created in conjunction with his health-related workforce.
“Walsh experienced initially hoped to compete and waited to give himself each individual opportunity to do so. On the other hand subsequent scans and health-related opinions have now dominated out this possibility.
“He will continue to acquire property his bronze medal which he received in the quarter-closing bout, turning into the 16th [Irish] boxer to deliver property a medal from the Olympic Games.”
The equestrian eventing is underway. It is the cross nation portion at the minute (dressage and jumping are the many others). Only a couple of riders have accomplished their rounds but … Oliver Townend of GB is out front. That suggests he leads Germany’s Julia Krajewski and Japan’s Tomoto Kazuma in the total standings. Australia’s Shane Rose and NZ’s Jonelle Value are fifth and sixth.
Merel Blom of the Netherlands has the ideal title for their horse: The Quizmaster. I also like Phillip Dutton of USA’s. It is a very simple hard work: Z. In the total workforce standings, GB direct Germany, New Zealand, Japan and Australia in that buy.
But significantly far more equine action to appear so things could transform swiftly.
Australians! And close friends of Australia! And men and women who it’s possible just like Australian athletes! Here’s our useful guide to Aussies in action currently. Emma McKeon aims for swimming background as Australia eye far more medals in the pool, Logan Martin goes for BMX gold and the Kookaburras deal with the Netherlands. Hooray!
The closing spherical of the men’s golfing is underway. It is only the backmarkers out at the minute. New Zealand’s Ryan Fox is -one for the spherical following two holes and Australia’s Marc Leishman has just started out his. But they are fourteen and 13 powering the leader respectively, and won’t difficulty the podium.
And talking of leaders: USA’s Xander Schauffele is in gold on -fourteen, followed by Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama on -13 and GB’s Paul Casey and Mexico’s Carlos Ortiz on -12. Ireland’s Rory McIlroy (-11) and Shane Lowry (-ten), GB’s Tommy Fleetwood (-ten) and Australia’s Cameron Smith (-9) are also in the combine.
Here’s a total rundown of yesterday’s 3rd spherical:
Good day globe! Only a week (and a minor little bit) right until the finish of the Games and following the dash queens yesterday obtained their things finished (and, my term, did they get it finished) the dash kings will be out in force tonight in Tokyo. We’ll have dwell protection of that afterwards but for now below is my colleague Martin Belam with other highlights from the subsequent 24 hrs.
Critical functions for Sunday one August
Entirely now all people, all functions are stated below in area Tokyo time. Include an hour for Sydney, subtract eight hrs for Cardiff, 13 hrs for New York and sixteen hrs for San Francisco. If you are looking at this on the Worldwide Space Station, I’m not sure I can help to be genuine.
🌟If you only watch 1 detail: 9.10am-12.00pm and 7pm-9.55pm Athletics – it’s another packed day at the Olympic stadium. Highlights involve the women’s shot put closing which starts at ten.35am, the men’s higher bounce closing starts at 7.10pm, the women’s triple bounce closing is at 8.15pm. And then at 9.50pm in Tokyo, there’s this minor detail called the men’s 100m closing 🥇
- 7.30am Golfing – the closing spherical of the men’s competition, with a reminder that a get started that early in Tokyo suggests this will be on the Tv at 11.30pm in the United kingdom tonight, which is dangerous territory if you don’t want to be suckered into remaining up all night like I was final night time by the blended triathlon relay. The leaders’ team tees off at 11.09am 🥇
- 9am-7.50pm Fencing – the closing day of fencing for these Games sees the men’s foil workforce competition 🥇
- 9.30am-9pm Hockey – there are men’s quarter-finals throughout the day, with Team GB v India at 9pm on the lookout the decide on of the bunch.
- ten.10am and 11.20am BMX biking – Sunday sees the women’s park closing first, then the men’s park closing 🥇
- ten.30am-11.36am Swimming – it is the closing early morning in the pool, and so the session is made up of 5 finals in small succession. The men’s 50m freestyle, the women’s 50m freestyle, the men’s 1500m freestyle and then the Olympic swimming concludes with the 4x100m medley finals. The women go first at 11.15am, the males wrap up the entire programme at 11.36am 🥇
- 11.00am-one.40pm and 5pm-7.40pm Boxing – the men’s welter and light-weight weighty types reach the semi-closing stage 🥉
- 11.00am-six.15pm Wrestling – the wrestling competition will get underneath way Sunday, with the men’s Greco-Roman 60kg and 130kg types, and the women’s freestyle 76kg group all achieving the semi-closing stage by the finish of the day.
- 12.05pm-3.33pm Sailing – ailments permitting there must be finals in the men’s 1 human being dinghy – laser, and the women’s 1 human being dinghy – laser radial 🥇
- 1pm and 8.30pm Badminton – incredibly significantly at the sharp finish now, the early morning session on Sunday capabilities the men’s semi-finals, the night session the women’s singles bronze and gold medal matches 🥇
- 3pm Diving – Sunday sees the 3m women’s springboard closing 🥇
- 5pm Inventive gymnastics – the finals of the men’s floor physical exercise, the women’s vault, the men’s pommel horse and the women’s uneven bars 🥇
- 3pm Tennis – on centre courtroom we get: the women’s doubles closing, then the men’s singles closing, and then the blended doubles closing. And then there’s no far more tennis remaining at the Olympics 🥇
You can uncover our total interactive functions schedule below. It updates dwell in the course of the day with all the scores and effects, like a series of minor mini-dwell weblogs. I appreciate it.
As it stands
Here’s how the emoji desk stood at 11.30pm Tokyo time. China have now equalled the United states of america for the total selection of medals, and I have experienced to split out the New Zealand flag emoji for the first time.
one 🇨🇳 China 🥇 21 🥈 13 🥉 12 total: forty six
2 🇯🇵 Japan 🥇 seventeen 🥈 five 🥉 8 total: thirty
3 🇺🇸 United states of america 🥇 sixteen 🥈 seventeen 🥉 13 total: forty six
four ◽️ Not Russia 🥇 11 🥈 15 🥉 11 total: 37
five 🇦🇺 Australia 🥇 ten 🥈 3 🥉 fourteen total: 27
six 🇬🇧 Good Britain 🥇 8 🥈 9 🥉 11 total: 28
7 🇰🇷 South Korea 🥇 five 🥈 four 🥉 7 total: sixteen
8 🇫🇷 France 🥇 four 🥈 9 🥉 six total: 19
9 🇳🇱 Netherlands 🥇 four 🥈 7 🥉 five total: sixteen
ten 🇳🇿 New Zealand 🥇 four 🥈 3 🥉 3 total: ten